Rodmersham is a village in the flat north Kent coastal plain where there is a mix of arable agriculture, market gardening and orchards. Like much of the coastal plain, Rodmersham is a small parish of just over 1,200 acres and able to serve a little over 300 parishioners.
St Nicholas' church is not mentioned in the Doomsday Book of 1086 but was built in time for King Henry II (1154-1189) to gift it to the Order of the Hospital of St. John of Jerusalem. Over time the church was extended by the order and for four centuries the Prior appointed the priest to the parish church.
Much of the building is late English Gothic (1380–1520) or Perpendicular Gothic in design, the same design used in the building of Canterbury Cathedral. However, there are one or two indications of an earlier Decorated Gothic (1275–1380) style building. The tower dates from the 15th century. The Victorian restorations in the late 19th century were considered rather heavy-handed, but the church is a large and striking building.
St Nicholas Church in Rodmersham is one mile south of the village of Bapchild and one mile north of Rodmersham Green village. The nearest town is Sittingbourne which is a 10-minute drive away. The church is in a beautiful setting, surrounded by orchards which Kent is so famous for. There is a cluster of homes opposite the church.
St Nicholas Church is a working church where a family service is held on the second Sunday of the month at 11:15 a.m for about one hour. There are also services on the holy days of Easter, Christmas and Harvest Festival. There are additional services held on Remembrance Sunday and other festivals, as well as baptisms and weddings.